November 2nd, 2007
Array Array Array
Wow I was just doing a little maintenance work in here today and I’ve got some really bad posts from back when I started this blog. I need to work on not creating any more of that crap. I lost interest in posting here several months back so it’s good to be getting back into the swing of things. Several months back I upgraded my wordpress installtion to whatever the latest version what at the time and created total mayhem that we were finally able to fix last night. There is some conflict with the newer versions (haven’t tried the most recent 2.3.1) and our web server. The main problem created was the appearance of the word Array ALL over my dashboard. On the main site it has a page titled Array that did not exist when you went to manage pages. I wasn’t able to access my themes, they were all listed but just that the template was missing and I wasn’t able to change themes anymore. When you went to the plugins page there was an additional 15 or so plugins all with the name Array that didn’t exist anywhere else except on that page. Finally when selecting the users tabs all I got was an error code.
Now because I hadn’t been posting here in a long time I wasn’t to worried about fixing things up, sure it was a nuisance and it was on my to do list but i wasn’t until I signed up for NaBloPoMo last night and realized that I couldn’t post anymore that we finally got serious about fixing the problem. I had created a testing blog recently to see if the problem was just with this site and sure enough a fresh install came up with all the same array problems. After mucking about in the database tables for a while and not really making any progress I finally got around the searching through the Wordpress forums. I finally found a thread the was describing exactly the problems I was having, the only problem was the solutions were looking increasingly more complicated the further I read into it. Just before shutting down the puter and heading of to bed I got the the last page and was presented with a very simple solution, just replace the line of text they showed with this altered one. This had to be way to easy to work so I tried it out on the tester blog and sure enough it fixed the whole problem. I’m so happy, weeeee, it’s fixed, I can post again. If you’re having the problem described above and you’ve stumbled here trying to find a solution, go to the above link, you’ll be amazed at how easy of a solution it is.
Tomorrow’s Post: A follow up to my post regarding the different types of bus drivers here in Vancouver, the many different types of riders. (Mom’s been asking for this post for a while now)